Monday, 14 April 2014

NEW - BARBADIAN GRANDDAUGHTER IN CUBA SEEKING LONG LOST RELATIVES IN BARBADOS

William Dixon was a black Barbadian, he may have emigrated to Cuba in 1927 (as he is recorded as being in Cuba by this year) - around the same time as my own Great Uncle Vidi Arnold DeWever did, but whereas my uncle went to Baracoa in the far East, William Dixon settled in Havana.

In Havana William met and married his Jamaican born wife (see the old Cuban government document accompanying this article), and they started a family.
Just by sheer co-incidence I happened to stay at the Guest House of Elizabeth Dixon (aka 'Ely') as I had to overnight in Havana for an important meeting.

Ely came to introduce herself to me when she came home and found me already checked in by her attractive white Cuban maid, when Ely heard that I was from Barbados her eyes light-up with excitement...."I have family in Barbados that I do not know - can you help me find them?" she asked......"Of course! - I will try my best, re-connecting long lost relatives is my personal hobby" I laughed in reply; and I assured her that I would write this article and share it as far and wide as possible.....as I am certain one of her relatives will eventually see it and contact her.

We spent more time with together, with me asking her about life in Havana, and Ely asking me about life in Barbados, I told her "You know, I think your grandfather - coming from the very racially stratified country of Barbados, would have never guessed that the day would come when one of his black descendants would be a successful business owner with a white maid under their employ", her eyes widened in disbelief, so I continued "I have never heard of a black Barbadian who has a white maid cleaning their home back in Barbados".
This is one of the major differences in Cuba, from all my interactions with Cubans of all races from West to East and many cities in-between, 'race' is NOT an ever-present factor like here in Barbados....granted it is becoming less of a factor with each passing year.....and it is certainly less omnipresent in 2014 than in was in 1984 in my own experience. 
I meet bi-racial and multi-racial families in Cuba more frequently than any other country on Earth that I have visited thus far, in the same household I see a black/brown parent married to a white parent with children who look mulatto, or even in some cases (depending on the number of children) - I have seen siblings whom I thought were all just friends, because one looks 'pure white', one looks 'pure black' or 'pure  Amerindian' and one looks mulatto....yet they are all from the same bi-racial mother and father. 

Ely can speak a little English, enough to make careful progress in conversation, and as I promised her - this is her contact information, if any member of the Dixon family reads this - please contact your relative - she is hoping to hear from you...and if any Barbadian is travelling to Havana and wants somewhere safe, central (the Malecon is one street north of her Casa, and the central shopping district is 4 streets East) and reasonable to stay - contact a gem of a person and fellow Barbadian success story in Cuba - Elizabeth Dixon, and help support our own!

Elizabeth Dixon (Casa Ely)
San Lazaro No 455
e/ Campanario y Perseverancia, centro Habana
elizabetabreu@yahoo.es
          
All for your information and guidance

Damon Gerard Corrie



2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thxowu9kw6M

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the story of part of the barbadian descendants that are actually living in Cuba, their customs and traditions, the emblematic places of the history between Barbados and Cuba are some of the topics that you can get to know through the documentary film “Lost Roots”, by testimonies, photos, music, paintings, sport, etc. you can know the tale of the real relation between these two countries.

    ReplyDelete